Friday, October 26, 2007

Big Apple.



Tonight was Trevor's going-away gathering at Young's.
I had no idea that he was leaving until this morning.
I had asked Paul if he wanted to get a six-pack and catch up tonight, when he informed me that tonight was one of Trevor's last nights in Pittsburgh before he departs for New York City on Saturday, and that I should come and say goodbye. For everyone else, it was "goodbye," but for myself, it was "see you later."

This is the perfect opportunity for me to announce to the general public my own scheduled relocation to NYC. Fear not, 'tis not nearly as soon as Trevor's. However, in a little over a year, once I am done getting my degree [FINALLY], I will be moving to New York [and reuniting with Trevor ASAP!].

Why, you ask?
For the very same reasons that Trevor, a filmmaker, is doing so.

(1) If you are an artist, especially a photographer or filmmaker, you need to be somewhere like New York City to succeed or at least have a fighting chance at success. I have had innumerable offers to cover various shows and events and to do some work for various PR firms (including Magnum PR)...but they are all located in NYC. Every new invitation in my inbox absolutely kills me to decline.
(2) Pittsburgh is an incredibly small city. I'm a big city person, and in love with New York City. I've been there several times, and on each occasion have not wanted to leave. Paul and I played a little bit of Six Degrees of Separation, and it was frightening that he knew some of the people I was speaking of. Trust me when I say that in Pittsburgh, no one is "new." Every "new person" that you meet knows someone that you know, or is a friend of a friend of a friend. Either way, you don't need six degrees to make the connection; it normally takes two to three. I can't stand it anymore. Which leads to...
(3) I would rather be a little fish in a big pond than a big fish in a little pond. And, of course, preferable over both is being a big fish in a big pond. Unless you are Sidney Crosby, your success in Pittsburgh has a very defined ceiling that you cannot extend beyond. Give me anonynimity. Give me the ability to blend in. Allow me to meet individuals who are truly new and to start anew with the cleanest of slates and thousands upon thousands of opportunities for first impressions. Then, grant me success. Grant me familiarity. Make the sky the limit.

This time cannot pass fast enough. I count the months as if they are days.
I'm going to cram as many credits as I can manage without having a nervous breakdown into each quarter to expedite the process. Of course, I will miss my family. And, I will miss my friends. The true blue will stay a very valued, though farther-away part of my life. But, this is so very worth it and what will lead to my ultimate happiness.

So, enjoy my company, Pittsburgh.
You have about a year to do so.
Ready, set, go...

No comments: