Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tonight, make me unstoppable...

Time prioritization had never been my forte.
Inevitably, procrastination gets the best of me or play is put before work. And for some reason, I remain eternally at a loss when my actions hold consequences.
I have come to the realization that the world owes me no favors. Deadlines must be met. Punctuality is not as negotiable as I may have perceived it to be.

My studies last quarter slowly slipped down my list of priorities.
And somehow, it still managed to come as a shock when my grades weren't up to par.
This quarter, I began with a renewed outlook and the same habits, as old ones die hard.
However, I refuse to let this be a repeat performance.
I will approach this quarter as the Grateful Dead, who played their songs differently each concert, refusing to fall into routine.

However, the longer I have been at the Art Institute, I have noticed a great deal of the pretentiousness I initially expected to find upon enrollment.
I've met several individuals who feel that simply a degree from the Art Institute, along with the required portfolio for graduation, is enough. They're "gifted" and therefore, opportunity will fall into their laps upon graduation.
This attitude irks me to no end.
If a person wishes to achieve something, they must work for it. The art world is competitive and vicious. It is as much about who you know as what you know. Making connections is vital. Outperforming your peers and achieving noteriety BEFORE graduation is imperative. THAT is why I work so hard outside of class on my side projects. This is my dream, and I will work as hard as need be to live it.
I'm not going to succeed because in addition to hand-rolling cigarettes, listening to the most obscure music, quoting Bukowski, being an active member of PETA, and acting elitist, I also happen to be pretty handy with a camera.

Make the most of your life.
And, if you have a dream, fight like hell for it.
Grab onto it.
Refuse to be torn from it.
Kick and scream.
And most importantly, believe in it to your dying breath.

No comments: