Tuesday, March 3, 2009

classic beauty...

...whatever happened to it?

I can't help but sit here and ponder this. You see, I have almost two hours to kill until my beloved Rhianon is out of her painting class and can join me for dinner. Therefore, here I sit in the library, perusing blackcig as per norm, when this post catches my eye: a collection of photographs of Vivien Leigh. As I scroll through them, I'm absolutely in awe of just how purely radiant she was, a true beauty for certain. A second thought crosses my mind: what happened to this sort of beauty? It has seemingly become a rarity for a female to possess this classic, ethereal beauty and behave like a lady (as opposed to a complete whore). Look at who we consider to be beautiful and just how the standard for beauty has changed. We give propers to emaciated, overtanned little tramps who pile on the makeup and hair extensions, skip out on the clothing (i.e. underwear, while flashing vagina to camera), surgically modify their bodies, and are known for their rampant atrocious behavior. This isn't beautiful. This is pathetic. If a team of highly-paid experts is required to make you "beautiful," SURPRISE, you're not really beautiful.
Also, I hold firm the belief that true beauty is more than just appearance. True beauty stems from character, and genuine, classically beautiful women just radiate with this certain aura. It oozes from their pores, and wordlessly, we know. We just know.
So when did this mass-confusion begin? When did beautiful and slutty/fake become synonymous? And, how do we undo it? I believe a good start would be executing all of the women on Rock of Love Bus by firing squad.


Then...

... and, now.

Really?! Are we serious?

No comments: